Thursday 22 October 2015

Practicing Modern Calligraphy with Quill London

Modern Calligraphy is something that I've fancied trying for such a long time. I've always loved handwriting and love the swirls and free style that modern calligraphy has.

So when I knew I was going to be in London the same weekend that a workshop by Quill London was being held, I couldn't wait to book myself on. It was everything I was hoping it was going to be and more, so I thought I 'd share a little more with you right here.
The workshop was held in a lovely pub called the Blacksmith and Toffee Maker in North London and was hosted by the lovely Lucy from Quill London and Megan Riera (hand writer extraordinaire.) I was lucky enough to sit on a table with three other lovely ladies and we chatted the morning away amid our practice, with tea and croissants by our sides.
Megan was an excellent teacher and introduced us to the basics and some warm up techniques, encouraging us to hold back from scribbling out whole words right from the off. Once we'd practiced our shapes and then the alphabet we were encouraged to try out a few phrases.
My mind kept flitting from one phrase to the next so I ended up writing out a few sentences, trying to avoid any words with letters I was struggling to master.

It was SUCH a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning and I'm now thoroughly hooked. We were given a pack with all we needed to keep practicing at home and I'm attempting to snatch 15 minutes here and there to keep at it.
This afternoon, whilst Wilf was at nursery and Anwen napped I had another go, this time fiddling about with some stunning golden (literally like liquid gold) paints that I bought at the workshop. My Thursday breaktime literally flew by in a flash. Time always tends to dissapear when I'm lost in a world of creativity. Which is just what happened on Sunday morning at the workshop, two and a half hours has never gone so quickly.
If you fancy giving it a go, you can win a place on a Quill workshop (or a full Calligraphy starter kit if you can't make it to a workshop), just by joining in with #mythursdaybreaktime on Instagram.
Simply tag in your breaktime posts this month with @littlemaldod and @quilllondon to enter and I will pick a favourite winning post next week.

This post from last week caught my eye, it is just the most calming, relaxing image.
Rowena (@flojoro123) has such a beautiful gallery on Instagram, if you don't already follow her lovely photos then you must pop over.

It's been a busy old day here but I've scrolled through the gallery a few times and there's been some beautiful posts. I can't wait to catch up with it properly later.

I hope your Thursdays have been lovely and that you have cosy, calm evenings ahead.

Thanks for reading,
Lowri x




No comments:

Post a Comment